October 27, 2023
DANIEL APUY/SANTIAGO 2023 via PHOTOSPORT
The 2023 Santiago Pan American Games have come to the midway point and will conclude on November 5.
So far, Team Canada continues to hold their medal standing in third place with 84 medals, 30 of which are gold.
Tammara Thibeault, Boxing, 75-kg
Tammara Thibeault, who was born in Regina, has qualified for Paris 2024 Olympics as a top-two finisher in the women’s 75-kilogram event and continued her winning streak to claim gold, 5-0 in her final bout against Panama’s Atheyna Bibeichi Bylon early Friday morning.
Saskatchewan athletes have had a strong start to the Games, claiming eight medals in various sports. Medals were claimed by:
Blake Tierney, Swimming
- Silver in Canadian Mixed 4×100-metre Medley Relay*
- Bronze in Men’s 100-m Backstroke
- Bronze in Men’s 4×100-metre Freestyle Relay*
- Bronze in Men’s 4×100-m Medley Relay
- Bronze in Men’s 4×200-m Freestyle Relay*
*Blake raced in the qualifying heats for these races, but did not race in the finals. He still received a medal as part of the team.
Rylan Wiens, Diving
- Silver in Men’s Synchronized 10-m Platform with partner Nathan Zsombor-Murray
Kelsey Wog, Swimming
- Silver in the Women’s 200-metre Breaststroke
Look ahead to the final stretch of the Games:
- Blaire McDowell, Women’s Water Polo – Preliminary Oct. 30 at 8 – 9:00 a.m.
- Brody McKnight, Men’s Water Polo – Preliminary Oct. 30 at 4:30 – 5:50 p.m.
- Carissa Norsten, Women’s Rugby 7s – Preliminary Nov. 3 at 8:15 – 8:40 a.m.
- Kenzie Priddell and Sydney Carroll, Artistic Swimming – Team Mixed, Technical Routine Oct. 31 at 6 – 7:00 p.m.
- Fynn Fafard, Fencing Men’s Team Epee – Quarterfinal Nov.2 at 6 – 7:00 a.m.
- Nikole Todd, Squash Women’s Doubles – Quarterfinal Nov. 2 at 7:30-9:00 a.m.
Find the complete Saskatchewan schedule here.
Stay caught up with the final days of the 2023 Pan American Games! CBCSports.ca, the free CBC Gem streaming app, the CBC Sports app and CBC TV broadcasting provides live coverage of the Games from Santiago.